What are lead rules?
Lead Rules are used to assign your leads based on your sales team structure and update them with data you’d like to use for reporting or other processes. You can create as many rules as needed to describe all your routing scenarios.
How do I set up lead rules?
To set up Lead Rules, open the feature by selecting Routing > Rules > Lead > Lead Rules
1. Start by creating a new lead rule, select the Create New button.
2. Select the conditions that leads should meet to be updated by this rule. You can select from fields on leads or from their matched accounts. If you have multiple conditions for this rule, you can choose whether all of them must be met (AND), any of them can be met (OR), or specify custom logic.
3. If this rule will not be used for assignment, but only to update lead fields for reporting and other purposes, select “Region Only” and save this rule. Otherwise, choose how you would like to assign this rule by selecting Continue.
4. You can assign leads that meet this rule’s conditions:
- to a specific owner, who you can select from the user list
- via a Round Robin, which will select a new owner based on who is available and next in line within the chosen group. Select an existing Round Robin, or create a new one by selecting Create New
- to a person referenced in another field, for example the matched account owner, a related lead owner, or any other user field. Use the Reference Field option to select the field to look at, or type in the field API name into the custom assignment field
- to a queue, which you can select from the list of queues
5. Select which field on the lead should be updated with the newly assigned owner. Lead Owner is the default, but any user field on the lead can be selected instead. Once done, save the rule, and create another if needed.
6. Optional: configure multiple assignments within one rule by selecting Add Another Assignment. It is also possible to designate a backup assignee which will be used if the desired owner is inactive, frozen, or on leave.
7. For Region Only rules, and to configure lead field updates that will happen as part of routing rules, select Edit Field Updates from the menu to the right of the rule. Here you can select Create New and specify a lead field, and the text that you would like it to be updated with. Repeat for as many fields as needed, and select Back to List to return to the rules page.
8. Optional: set a rule as default from the field value drop down menu on the right, so that any leads which do not meet the conditions for any of your rules will be updated by the default rule.
9. If needed, re-order the rules as your lead will be updated based on the first rule where it meets the conditions. Note that a lead can be updated by the top applicable rule as well as the top applicable region only rule.
10. Select whether you would like all new leads to run through your routing rules, or define conditions to run (and optionally re-run) rules for leads which meet your business criteria. Note that region only rules will not be affected by the selected entry conditions, but rather will run on leads during initial Lane Four processing, and every time a field that is part of the region only rule’s conditions is updated.
11. Enable lead rules with the toggle on the top right of the screen.
Why are my leads not being routed?
If leads are not being routed or updated as expected there are a number of troubleshooting steps to try:
1. Are your lead rules enabled? If not, select the toggle on the top right to enable them.
2. Did the lead run through rules? If you have selected All Leads on Creation in the entry conditions (when should your leads be routed at the bottom of the screen), the lead should have run through rules during initial processing. It would only run through rules that one time, and will not run through again. If you have defined entry conditions, check to see if the lead met those conditions, and if necessary, update the conditions so that they capture the scenarios you’d like. Leads will only run through rules if they meet the entry conditions on creation or if they meet the entry conditions after not having met them prior. If the lead meets entry conditions and is later updated in a way that it still meets them, or no longer meets them, it will not run through rules again. It would only be routed again if it did not meet the entry conditions at one point, and then was updated to meet them.
3. Did the lead meet the conditions for any of your rules? If the lead meets the conditions to be routed, Lane Four will look for the rule that should update it. If the lead does not meet conditions for any of the rules, and no rule is marked as “Default”, then the lead will not be updated. You can create or update a rule that will capture the desired scenario for the future, and/or set one of your rules as default from the field value drop down menu on the right
4. Has Lane Four finished processing the routing? You can check the Audit Report, accessible from the Match View component on your lead page to see the processes that Lane Four has scheduled for this lead. If you see any that are marked not started or in progress, you may need to wait until they are completed to see the results of routing on your lead. Note that the rules process group will appear as “AU-SRSR” or “AI-SRSR”.
Still not sure? Contact us and we will be happy to help.